BFC is body that was formed, when the organisation known as Businesses Against Crime, had to be disbanded.
The newly constituted BFC continued to achieve its core objectives, which are to assist businesses in the fight against crime.
Over the years BFC have been involved in several initiatives to make PMB a safer place to live in, namely the:
BFC continues to be involved in several forums, namely:
PCB continues to supply the necessary administrative support to BFC at an affordable cost as BFC are solely reliable on donations.
The executive committee of the BFC meet regularly and table many issues facing business and its quite clear that the committee can do so much more, if they had more funding. Business are urged to assist BFC in whatever sponsorship they may offer to ensure that BFC can continue to do what it does best.
Please be aware that criminals are now targeting people withdrawing money from Capitec ATM’s in the city. It however does not mean that other bank ATM’s are safe. Please be very careful when withdrawing money from an ATM especially those where there is no security. If you suspect something is wrong then walk away or if your card is “swallowed” please phone the emergency number displayed on the ATM. Remain at the ATM until the operator informs you that your card has been cancelled.
TIPS AT AN ATM
1) Visit the ATM that you are familiar with.
2) Do not accept any form of assistance from strangers even security guards.
3) Do not expose your pin code to anyone.
4 ) Do not be distracted by the suspects – step away and let them leave.
5) Check the ATM if all the lights are working where you insert your card.
6) Don’t visit the ATM very early or late in the afternoon.
7) Don’t give your pin to friends and family to draw with your cards for you.
8) Report stolen or lost cards immediately to your respective bank.
IN THE CBD
1) Do not have your windows or doors open.
2) Do not display any of your possessions on your seat of your car.
3) Be extra careful at robots and standing in traffic. Do not be distracted.
4) Don’t talk on your phones whilst stationery in traffic.
5) Women drivers and pedestrians are soft targets – don’t be a victim.
6) Don’t wear all your gold chains and rings to work – keep them for functions.
7) Be careful when withdrawing large sums of cash – take someone with you.
8) Don’t fall for scams regarding dropped/found money on the floor.
9) Be careful for bogus cops in the cbd – money scam – don’t jump into their cars.
10) Don’t be caught by the so-called faith healers – they only want your money. You cannot win the lotto – they cannot double your money – they cannot get cars and houses.
GET RICH QUICK SCHEMES
1) Don’t fall into the trap of quick rich scams- before paying any money check with the FINANCIAL SERVICES BOARD (021 428 800/021 428 8176) if the so-called Company is registered with them for conducting business.
THANK YOU TO OUR SPONSORS:
Tomlinson Mnguni James
Natal Rubber Compounders
If you would like to make a donation the banking details for BFC are:
Bank: FNB Boom Street
Branch Code: 221325
Account No: 62077527144
The Safe City Msunduzi (Pty) Ltd is dedicated to making the City of Pietermaritzburg a better place in which we can all live, work and play. The partnership includes key players such as:
The safety of our city is everyone’s responsibility. It cannot be left to a few, to somebody else. Everyone needs to get involved. You can play a critical role. By reporting what you see, you will help to reduce crime even further.
What kind of activity are we talking about? Here are some examples:
When you have information sms it to 083 767 7233/SAFE